Saturday, September 11, 2010

Packing for Europe

One of the hardest parts of planning so far is deciding what to bring. Once we're over there, some items will be harder to find - especially those you have to order, since we won't have a mailing address most of the time. In case you're interesting in going on a similar trip, I'm going to post a list of what I'm packing on the blog.

By the way - this is Derek speaking. We're going to have to put our names in post titles or something to make it easier.

First of all, I'm putting everything into my big backpack and a smaller daypack. No suitcases or anything like that. A duffel bag may be necessary for the plane (just to avoid having our packs torn apart by the baggage handlers) but we'll see.


My two packs: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/JmpkewQhbgAINjtO0z2jaQ?feat=directlink

Clothes: Most All of what I packed is moisture-wicking (made of a synthetic material like polyester or polypropylene). Wicking clothes dry easier, don't wrinkle, and compress well. This is in contrast to cotton clothes, which hold moisture in.
Also, my clothes are very plain. All solid colors, no brands or logos. My plan is to look less like a tacky tourist and more like a respectable world traveler.
~~~~~~~
5 pairs of wicking convertible pants (they zip off into shorts)
Gore-Tex pants (act as rain pants and are also warm)
Waterproof wind shell
7 wicking tees
3 long-sleeve wicking shirts
7 pairs of socks
1 pair of wool socks
7 pairs of underwear
2 fleece sweatshirts
1 sweater (in case we run into anything more formal)
Mittens and hat
Edit: I relented and decided to bring my Olin CW shirt, which is not wicking or plain but does show Olin pride. :D

Important documents: These are what will allow us to travel and keep us from being deported. I keep them in a money belt, which is essential unless you enjoy being pickpocketed.
~~~~~~~
Passport
Insurance card
SS card
Train and airplane tickets
Debit card
Copies of each of the above (kept in a separate place)




Sleeping:
~~~~~~~
Down sleeping bag - very warm.
Sleeping bag liner
Tent - Camping is cheaper than hotels or hostels.

Shoes: I don't know how I ended up packing 4 pairs of shoes. Seriously. This is nonsense.
~~~~~~~
Flip flops
Down booties
Hiking boots
Sneakers

Small Misc Items: Various things that I packed that will come in handy somewhere along the way but do not add much weight to my pack.
~~~~~~~
Guidebooks, maps, etc
Length of paracord - very strong and extremely useful.
Reusable water bottle
Cup
Fork and spoon - for impromptu picnics
Compass
Swiss army knife
Journal and pens - I want to remember this for the rest of my life.
Soap
Spare contacts and glasses
Duct tape - Don't even think of leaving home without it.
Headlamp
First aid kit and Ibuprofen
Toiletries
Foldable bowl
Matches and lighter
Sharpening stone
Bug spray
Collapsible umbrella
Sunscreen
Whistle

Compact microfiber towel - very absorbent
Gifts for hosts - We're staying with David's family at some points and I decided it would be apropos to present them with small, distinctly American tokens of my appreciation.

Electronics: We're nerds. Don't give me that look. XD. All of these are in a waterproof drysack just in case.
~~~~~~~
Camera and memory card
Tripod
iPod Touch - My connection to home. When I can find wifi, I'll be able to use it for Facebook, blog updates, and Skype. Plus it's entertainment on plane and train trips.
Mini microphone - for Skype
SPOT - GPS tracker that we'll use to send word to our parents that we're either OK or in need of help. Will also contact emergency services if necessary.
Extra batteries
Various chargers and cables
Don't forget that European outlets are 220V and 50Hz whereas America uses 120V and 60Hz. Their plugs are also different. We have converters for all of that.


All my gear laid out: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/t5HHisD6sYXphuSgsD2aFQ?feat=directlink

That post was a little longer than I expected - and there are probably a few things I forgot to mention. In any case, hope this helps.

<Derek>

3 comments:

  1. You're too organized; it makes me want to throw your life upside down again.

    "Clothes: Most All of what I packed is moisture-wicking (made of a synthetic material like polyester or polypropylene). Wicking clothes dry easier, don't wrinkle, and compress well. This is in contrast to cotton clothes, which hold moisture in.
    Also, my clothes are very plain. All solid colors, no brands or logos. My plan is to look less like a tacky tourist and more like a respectable world traveler."

    Only you would put that much thought into it. World travelers don't care how they look. It's not what you look like that gives you away. And you aren't from Europe! That's nothing to be ashamed of.

    Can't believe you wrote about how many underwear you're bringing. I hope you bring more than 7. It's 90 days, who knows if you can wash your clothing everyweek.

    I put a link to your blog on mine. It's on the side bar. So it'll be there forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek and David:
    I'm alternating between excitement, worry, jealousy and excitement again ... but ultimately I know that you're going to have the time of your lives and I can't wait live vicariously through your blogs! Take lots of pictures, stay safe and call your mothers occasionally :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you guys there yet? I can't remember the day y'all were leaving >.>

    ReplyDelete